Monday, May 23, 2011

I can't believe you're almost here.

Dear Nicholai,

Today is May 23rd, 2011. Your mom and I are both 24, living just outside of Boston, where we've been for about a year. Your dad is a new lieutenant in the Air Force, and we're expecting you in about a week (May 31st). It's so hard to believe you're almost here. There's so much to think about as a first time parent that I've been a little restless over the last couple weeks. I don't think I ever thought that I would have a kid so soon (not that it's a bad thing, but just unexpected for us). I feel like there's a lot of pressure about getting things right as a parent, making sure that we're all set, that we've bought all the right things, did the right research etc. I really hope we're able to provide a great life for you.

Your mom has been so excited as your due date approaches. We live in a small one bedroom apartment just outside of Boston, and she's done a lot to clean it up, and get everything set for your arrival (of course I help too!). She calls it her "nesting period" where she's making sure you have a good home to come to. We have a dresser full of brand new clothes for you. Every week since we've known that you were coming, we've tried to pick up an outfit or two. We bought a brand new Eddie Bauer Travel System, equipped with an awesome stroller and car seat. We got a new rocking chair to nurse you in, and a playpen. We even hung up our art on the walls so that you have something interesting to look at. There are some times that I wish we could do so much more for you, like go way overboard and get you tons of stuff. But I know that what we have is good and I just can't wait until you're here to use it all.

In a couple days, your grandparents (LaVerne and Austin -- I think they'll want to be called Mimi and Pawpaw respectfully) are coming into town from Texas where your mom is from (and where we met). This will be their first trip to Boston and the New England area. Your grandma LaVerne really wants to be here when you're born, and I don't know what she'll do if she's not. A little less than a week later (on June 1st), your other grandma (my mom Kris, who you'll call Nana) will be here too. Believe it or not, we're housing them all in our apartment for this momentous occasion. Everybody is so excited to see you. You're the first male great-grandchild on my dad's side of the family, and THE first great-grandchild on my mom's side. You are also the first male great-grandchild on your mom's (Andrea's) side of the family.

Just a side note here -- I'm actually watching the NBA conference finals right now between the Dallas Mavericks and the Oklahoma City Thunder. I'm a little conflicted about who I want to win. Your dad was actually born in Oklahoma City, although we didn't live there long. But, we also lived in the greater Seattle area for quite some time, where the Seattle Sonics used to be. They are now called the Oklahoma City Thunder since they moved from the city. But to me, it's an underdog story. There are players on the Thunder who are 22 years old (two years younger than I am now). So it's pretty amazing that such a young team with young players has made it so far. I can't wait to take you to professional sports games. Basketball is not really my favorite, but baseball most definitely is. Your mom and I use to go to Mariner's games as often as we could while I was finishing up college, and of course we've gone to some Red Sox games since we've lived here. It's a really great experience that I've gotten to share with my closest friends and family, and I can't wait to share that with you.

We're very excited for you to be here, and I'll keep this updated to let you know what's going on. It's a very interesting time for all of us and we can't wait to see how it all unfolds.

Until our next letter, I love you very much.
Your dad, Justin.

No comments:

Post a Comment